My First Experience of Being Stranded

The day was Wednesday, July 22 2015, one which I shall hardly forget. It happened just so fast for me.

I was stunned when the Cafe attendant said, looking right into my face, "you must pay for all or leave the documents and return to pick it up with the money". The more I tried to plead the harder it was to convince him. I understand his position. For as an employee he couldn't risk his job. So without much to do I had to pay with all the money on me.

With empty pockets now, the journey back home seem endless and painful. Even if I manage to make it home I shall have to be massaged thoroughly because my limbs would have become stiff from hundreds of miles walk.

But why did I face such a significant challenge? Because it was my fault. Earlier I'd miscalculated the price for a print out. I directed the attendant to print 4 copies instead of 2. After politely narrating my miscalculation he understandably took what I had on me, kept the documents until I returned to pay off the remaining debt.

The experience was disheartening. Through it I came to the realization that the people we see in town looking dejected and begging for alms are in one way or the other caught in this quagmire of being stranded.

Although the weather was cool, I felt sweaty. My mind was restless, searching to find a Good Samaritan. Luckily I remembered that my Uncle works nearby. I visited him and it was good. More than enough, I met a friend, a class mate. He had come to the Cafe to make same letter print outs. I took the opportunity and placed my problem before him. His help was more than enough. To me this is Heaven sent. In one breath I was ashamed, tensed and troubled. Then in an instant I'm free and good to go.

I hurriedly cancelled the debt and collected my beautifully printed appointment letters. The letters needed endorsement from the Regional and District Directors of the Ghana National Service Secretariat. 

I thank God for this breakthrough. But for the timely intervention of my Uncle and friend, I would have begged from people on the street and worse of all walk over a 100 mile home.

Surely I've learnt lessons from this experience. One is that I've got to be more thoughtful of whatever I say, and the second is to get details right or double check them whenever in doubt.

Truly a friend in need is a friend indeed.

Comments